A day with my laptop

When I came in the morning to work on my laptop I discovered that it had restarted due to some critical updates by Microsoft. One hour later iTunes opened a pop-up window and asked me to install a new version. So I allowed it. Tons of megabytes were downloaded and network became slow. Then, The AVG Anti-Virus had updated its Definition Table. I like when this happens, it gives me a good feeling that my laptop is well taken care, but then also appeared a notification about a serious patch which required a restart. OK, I confirmed that. At noon, Firefox installed a new version and requested a permission to restart as well, So I confirmed that too. Then, a few of my favorites plug-ins had stopped working because they were not compatible anymore with the new version of Firefox. Just then, without any correlation, the USB driver hung and the mouse was dead. so I gave up the mouse and continued to work with the touch pad. Then, the computer was slow. I got angry and opened the Task Manager to see what is going on. Firefox consumed 800MB and tens of other processes filled the whole memory, so I started to kill a few. My ThinkPad is full of utilities by Lenovo. Nevertheless several processes were restarted because other mysterious processes keep an eye on them. Then, explorer died. OK, I am used to that so I restarted it manually. Then, I was told that there are unused icons on my desktop. Whenever I see this message I know that something really bad is going to happen. Never follow this advice. So I ignored it. OK, now everything seemed to be stable, I went to bring coffee, but when I returned to my computer there was a Javascript error and the browser asked me if I want to wait more or to stop it. Needless to say, I didn't know what to choose so I randomly selected to kill it. Silence. Firefox was Not Responding. I thought to myself that at this point nothing could be better than to restart the machine again. So I restarted to computer. Ten more minutes were lost while it was trying to boot. Finally it came back. I happily opened Word and started to work. When I wanted to print my document nothing happened. The printer spooler had died. Finally I got the point; I need to buy a new laptop.

Comments

jewelery said…
Hi Guy,
nicely put
why so many failure with electronic divises?
yom tov

Popular posts from this blog

Cellular Automata - Part II, Using Condor

[mpich-discuss] Errors while testing MPICH2 on Vista

MPI.NET Tutorial